Here at Smart Polish Pro, we are redefining traditions with car care, so it's only natural to share with you when we came across Car Next Door, a neighbour-to-neighbour car sharing service on a mission to change the way people think about cars.
"The current model of car ownerships - with a car for every person, most of them sitting idle 96% of the time - is insanely wasteful", says Car Next Door's co-founder and CEO, Will Davies. "We created Car Next Door to fundamentally change the way Australians travel - helping them share their resources, save money and reduce their environmental footprint".
Since 2012, Car Next Door has been helping regular car owners turn their cars into share cars, so that they can safely and easily rent them out to their neighbours at times when they're not using them. Find out what they have to say below.
MAKE MONEY WITH YOUR CAR - RENT IT OUT
If you own a car, but don't drive it every day, then you can offset the high standing costs (like rego, insurance, depreciation and loan repayments) by renting it out to screened, trusted people in your community.
The average car owner who rents their car out on Car Next Door's peer-to-peer car sharing platform makes about $3,500 a year, with the top earners bringing in over $7,000 a year.
It's a simple process to turn your regular car into a share car:
- You complete a car listing application online.
- Once approved, Car Next Door sends an installer to add some simple technology to your car to track borrowers' trips and give them access to the key. Your car is now covered by Car Next Door's fleet insurance policy, whether you or a borrower is driving.
- You fill in your car's online profile page and block out the times when you'll need it yourself. The rest of the time it will be available for people to book.
- Your car is 'live' and ready for its first trip!
Rent my car and get it earning its keep!
HOW CAN YOU HAVE 1,000+ CARS AND NO GARAGE?
Need a car, ute or van for an hour or a day? Whether you own a car or not, it's often handy to have access to different vehicles.
- Search Car Next Door's online platform to find local cars for rent.
- Book instantly and access the keys from a secure lockbox - there's no need to meet the owner.
- Just pay for the time you have the car and the distance you drive. Payments are all processed automatically, and fuel and insurance are included in the price.
Car Next Door currently has over 1,200 cars listed in Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle and Brisbane, with 40,000 approved borrowers and plans to expand to more cities soon.
To borrow cars, you'll first need to be approved as a member - it's free to join and takes just a few minutes online.
SAVING MONEY AND REDUCING WASTE
Just as you stream music online instead of owning stacks of CDs, mobility-as-a-service is replacing the old model of car ownership. It's far more sustainable - and cheaper - to just book a car for the hours you actually need it, rather than owning a car that you only drive a couple of times a week.
THE GREENEST CAR IS THE ONE YOU DON'T BUY
Sharing resources is also better for the planet. You may be surprised to know that the bulk of cars' greenhouse gas emissions are associated with manufacturing it and shipping it to Australia. These embodied emissions typically match, or even exceed, exhaust pipe emissions over the car's lifetime. That's why letting each car serve more people's transport needs is a simple way to reduce our carbon footprint.
In addition, all emissions associated with Car Next Door borrowers' trips are also offset through Greenfleet's native reforestation projects.
WANT TO PUT YOUR CAR TO WORK?
Apply to rent your car out by completing a quick online form. Car Next Door's onboarding team will be in touch to answer any questions, discuss your car's earning potential, and get your car set up to earn for you.